It's at the Donald Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont on January 26-27, 2013, and it features a ton of experts. ABC7 is a sponsor of the show. Among the experts you can meet there is travel writer Pauline Frommer (http://www.frommers.com/pauline/), and she came into our ABC7 studio with tips on where you should travel this year.
Pauline's Tips: 4 hot travel destinations for 2013
- The Chinese government continues to devalue the yuan (to keep exports strong)
- Example: from the company www.ChinaSpree.com, you can get a fully guided tour of Beijing, Xian and Shanghai for 10 days (all lodgings, meals, tours, in-country transportation and a flight from San Francisco included) for $1499
- Similar packages from such companies as Ritz Tours (http://www.ritztours.com/) and China Focus (http://www.chinafocustravel.com/)
- Do the trip independently, and you can possibly spend even less.
- Hotel rates have fallen to new lows in recent months
- You can get a super-luxurious suite of the type you'd pay $400/ night for in another city for as little as $139/ night
- It's also not unusual to get a perfectly decent room for under $30 a night
- Discounts on shows are common (try www.Goldstar.com or the Tix4Tonight (http://www.tix4tonight.com/) booths on the Strip), as are discounts on food
- Pauline recommends getting a car, so you can see the stunning desert landscapes around the city and eat off the Strip, where the food is terrific and much less pricey
3. Dallas, Texas
- 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy
- The event will be commemorated tastefully, with special exhibitions and expert panels
- With the TV show "Dallas" back on the air, you can see Southfork Ranch in person
4. Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland
- In 2013, the historic walled city of Derry-Londonderry will be the UK's first "City of Culture," stage to 170 events, from massive, outdoor light spectacles, to star-studded theatrical performances to music fests (including the famed Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann, operating outside of the Republic of Ireland for the first time)
- You might want to mix this with one of the extraordinarily well-priced air/ hotel packages we're seeing to Ireland this year
- Example: 6 nights in luxury accommodations in Ireland, a rental car and air from Chicago for just $1062 per person with the company SceptreTours (http://www.sceptretours.com); similar deals available from Brian Moore Tours International (http://www.bmit.com/), Aer Lingus Vacations (http://www.aerlingusvacationstore.com/) and CIE (http://www.cietours.com/us/)
Chicago Travel & Adventure Show (http://www.adventureexpo.com/Default.aspx?id=a8383584-b8b3-4a9d-8be5-223cd2db9ab2)
Public Show Hours:
Saturday, January 26: 10 a.m. ? 5 p.m.
Sunday, January 27: 11 a.m. ? 4 p.m.
Donald E. Stephens Convention Center
5555 N. River Road
Adults: $9 Online or $15 at the Door
Children under 16: Free
All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Pauline Frommer at the Chicago Travel & Adventure Show
Travel Writer, Frommer's Travel Guides and Creator of Pauline Frommer guidebooks
Saturday, January 26, 2013
12:30pm - 1:30pm
"What You Need To Know Before You Plan Your Next Vacation"
Autograph Signing Immediately Following