Drawing on the latest food and nutritional research, Grotto lists and describes common foods and their benefits, cross-referencing their categories for more insight into the impact food has on the body.
- Grotto divides his lists into three sections:
- The Vital Nutrients: provides the top un-fortified food sources for each vitamin, mineral, fat and fiber and describes the benefits of each.
- Best Foods for Whatever Ails You: mentions many common ailments?from high blood pressure and cholesterol to aging and gum disease?and lists the foods that counter them.
- Best In Show: highlights the most nutritional options in each food group, including dairy, grains and vegetables, in addition to the best foods for pre- and post-workout routines, including sleep and improving memory.
David Grotto's "Lucky 7" of top foods that should be in everyone's diet:
- Beans - Best source of 8 nutrients including fiber and iron, best food for controlling blood glucose and pressure, fighting cancer
- Cherries - Best Food for fighting bad breath, sleep, pain and inflammation
- Mushrooms - Best source of 6 nutrients, top 7 foods for bad breath and fighting cancer.
- Salmon - Best source of 8 nutrients, top 7 foods for blood glucose, sleep, gum disease, pain, aging, triglycerides and blood pressure
- Spinach - Best source of 9 nutrients, top 7 foods for blood pressure, gum disease and fighting cancer
- Yogurt - Best source of 6 nutrients, top 7 foods for blood glucose, bed breath, diarrhea, regularity, blood pressure and fighting cavities
- Liver - Best source of 12 nutrients.
Meet David Grotto:
January 29th from 6-8pm: Fair Oaks Farms
Location: 1001 West Adams in Chicago, Illinois
Cost: FREE! (Limited to the first 100 who register)
Notes: Books will be available for purchase. All proceeds go to the Chicago Food and Nutrition Network. There will be presentations, demonstrations and a book signing event throughout the evening.