One of "Top Chef's" all-time fan favorites, Chef Fabio Viviani opens the Italian-Inspired Siena Tavern in the city's River North Neighborhood. It's his third restaurant, and his first in Chicago. The idea for the restaurant was inspired by the Italian-native's trip to Siena, Italy. Chef Fabio is here in our kitchen, and he is going to make fresh pasta.
Siena Tavern, 51 W. Kinzie in Chicago, opens for reservations beginning February 16th. For reservations guests should call 312-595-1322
Pappardelle with Bolognese Sauce
- 2 cup Soffrito (onions, carrot, celery)
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 pound Ground pork shoulder
- 1 pound Ground veal shoulder
- 1/2 cup Smoked pancetta, small diced
- 1/2 bottle Red wine
- 1/2 cup Tomato paste
- 1 cup Beef stock
- 4 cup Basic tomato sauce
- TT Thyme, bay leaves, parsley
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 5 pound Pappardelle noodles
- 1 cup Grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat rondo with olive oil, add soffrito. Add in pancetta and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add in ground meat and cook until well caramelized. Add tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes then deglaze with red wine and herbs.
3. Add in beef stock and crushed tomatoes, cook for 1 hour on a low simmer.
4. Finish sauce with the cream and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Cook pasta in salted water till al dente, then toss in with the Bolognese sauce and garnish with grated parmesan cheese.