14 students sickened at South Side school

February 20, 2013 12:52:20 PM PST
They thought they were eating mints, but 18 students from Wendell Green Elementary School consumed anti-smoking lozenges and got sick.

Several students had to be hospitalized as a precaution.

Chopper 7 HD was above the scene in the 1100-block of West 96th Street Wednesday morning.

The lozenges contained nicotine and nauseated the students.

Statement from Chicago Public Schools spokesperson Marielle Sainvilus:

"Several students were transported to nearby hospitals as a precautionary measure after ingesting what was thought to be mints brought to the school by a student. At no time was there a threat to the safety of the school. We thank the principal and the elementary school staff for taking quick and appropriate action to ensure the health of all students involved were tended to immediately and to return the school to normal operation."

Load Comments