But do you know how to cook it in an authentic way? Tony Stallone with Peapod came into our ABC7 studio to walk us through a recipe.
1. Less Fat
- buy flat cut vs. point cut
- points can be much fattier
2. Never Boil
- Simmer low and slow
- If you are cooking in a pot of water, be sure the water never boils
- oven at 275 degrees: Place corned beef in a deep pan, fill 3/4 of the way with water, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 50 minutes per pound.
3. Try a bottle of Guinness
- Replace 12 oz of the water with a bottle of Guinness
- pairs well with a good grain mustard
4. Glaze it
5. Crock Pot
- Put 1/2" to 1" of water in the bottom of a roasting pan
- Remove corned beef from packaging and rinse off any residue (she calls it slime, but it is actually the brine) and place in the roasting pan fat side up, not touching the water. If there is a seasoning packet, put in the water, not on the meat.
- Place 2 thick slices of onions on top of the corned beef
- Pour 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar over the corned beef
- Cover and seal with aluminum foil
- Roast in a preheated 250 degree oven for 5 hours for a 3-4 lb brisket
St. Patrick's Day Horseradish Cream
1/2C Horseradish prepared
2T Dijon Mustard
3/4C Heavy Cream whipped to soft peaks
2T Parsley finely chopped
1pinch Sugar white or to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
Stir the mayonnaise, horseradish, and Dijon mustard in a bowl until evenly combined.
Fold in the whipped cream and parsley, then season to taste with sugar, salt, and pepper.
Corned Beef Glaze (Taste of Home)
1/4C butter unsalted, cubed
1C Brown Sugar packed
1/3C Vinegar white
2T Dijon Mustard
2T Horseradish prepared
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
Brush over beef.
Bake, uncovered, at 350? for 20 to 25 minutes.
Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 12 servings.
Corned Beef the Jane Way
1 Corned beef brisket flats 3 to 4 lbs
1 Onion cut into thick slices
2T Apple Cider Vinegar
Fill a roasting pan with 1/2" to 1" of water.
Remove corned beef from package, and rinse off any residue.
Open, and place any seasoning packet into water.
Place brisket onto roasting pan fat side up not touching water.
Place sliced onion on top of corned beef, pour apple cider over brisket.
Seal tightly with aluminum foil.
Roast in a preheated 250 degree oven for approx 5 hours or until done (should easily pierce with fork).