Pi, written as the Greek letter Π in mathematics, is abbreviated at 3.14, but continues indefinitely. Pi is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, and has been calculated to more than one trillion digits beyond its decimal.
What's the big deal about Pi? Well, according to PiDay.org, Pi is "an irrational and transcendental number, it will continue infinitely without repetition or pattern. While only a handful of digits are needed for typical calculations, Pi's infinite nature makes it a fun challenge to memorize, and to computationally calculate more and more digits."
To celebrate, the Illinois Science Council, which refers to Pi Day as "the most delicious of holidays," many Chicago area bakeries are offering special Pi Day deals on pies and pizza pies.
"We're really excited that Pi Day has grown in interest with all sorts of bakeries, restaurants in town participating. It's a fun way to think about math and how important it is in our everyday lives," Monica Metzler, founder and executive director of the Illinois Science Council.
One more note, March 14, or Pi Day, is also Albert Einstein's birthday.
List of Chicago bakeries, restaurants and pizza offering Pi Day deals (from Illinois Science Council).
- Bennison's Bakery, 1000 Davis St., Evanston, 847-328-9434, Thurs. 6am-7pm, BennisonsCakes.com. Offering individual pies (Boston cream, strawberry-rhubarb or apple) for $3.14 while supplies last.
- Cafe Selmarie, 4729 North Lincoln Av., Chicago, 773-989-5595, Thurs. 8am-9pm, CafeSelMarie.com. Offering pie slices and mini pies for the special price of $3.14.
- First Slice Pie Cafe, at each of their three Chicago locations, will offer anyone in the cafe at 3:14pm a free slice of pie. Cafes are located at: 4401 N. Ravenswood Ave., Chicago, 4664 N. Manor Ave., Chicago, and 5357 N. Ashland Ave., Chicago. Learn about their unique mission at FirstSlice.org.
- Jarosch Bakery, 35 Arlington Heights Rd., Elk Grove Village, 847-437-1234, Thurs. 6:30am-6:30pm, JaroschBakery.com. Will create the award-winning Blueberry/Cranberry Pie for sale on Pi Day.
- Julius Meinl Coffeehouse, northamerica.meinl.com, will offer a piece of Lemon Ginger Pie for $3.14 at all three of its Chicago locations: 3601 N. Southport Av., (6am -10pm), 4363 N. Lincoln Av., (6am-10pm), 4115 N. Ravenswood Av. (7am-5pm).
- Pleasant House Bakery, 964 West 31st St., Chicago, 773-523-PIES(7437), Thurs. 11am-9pm, PleasantHouseBakery.com. Offering a special variety of its handmade, savory, award-winning Royal Pies.
- Shokolad Pastry & Caf?, 2524 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, 773-276-6402?, Thurs. 9am-6pm, ShokoladPastryandCafe.com. Offering slices of apple, cherry or key lime pie for $3.14.
- Sweet Cakes Bakery, 901 N. Damen Av., Chicago, 773-772-5771, Thurs. 7am-6pm, SweetCakesChicago.com. Offering mini pies in banana cream, chocolate cream, cherry streusel and Dutch apple pies (some will be vegan) for $3.14.
- Sweety Pies Bakery, Cakery & Caf?, 8042 N. Lincoln Av., Skokie, 847-213-0900, Thurs. 7am-6pm, SweetyPiesBakery.com. Offering all slices of Pi for $3.14 to any customer saying "Happy Pi Day." Limit two per customer, while supplies last.
- Swirlz Cupcakes, 705 W. Belden, Chicago, 773-404-2253, Thurs. 10am-7pm, SwirlzCupcakes.com. Offering "Pi" and "Einstein" cupcakes on sale for $3.14. A special treat at 3:14 PM, the first customer who walks in and mentions "Illinois Science Council" will win a free 6-box with three Pi and three Einstein cupcakes.
- Pizzeria Uno, 29 E. Ohio St., Chicago, (312) 321-1000, Thurs. 11am-1am, Unos.com. Offering $3.14 off a total bill for any party that wishes their waiter/waitress "Happy Pie Day." Valid only at 29 E. Ohio location.
- Papa John's Pizza is offering at all 7 locations in downtown Chicago a Pi-Pizza (with bbq sauce, Canadian bacon and pineapple) or any other pizza with up to 3 toppings, for only $11. Plus, the first 10 people to post a photo of themselves on Papa John's Chicago Facebook page on 3/14/13 holding a Papa John's pizza box will get a code for a free pizza. Originality is encouraged. The first person to post a photo of themselves holding a Papa John's pizza box at 3:14pm will get three large (14") pizzas. See PapaJohnsChicago.com for locations and hours.
- Parkers' Restaurant, 1000 31st Street, Downers Grove, 630-960-5700, Thurs. 11:30am-10pm, ParkersAmerican. Offering a "3.14 Pi Pizza Pie" (cheese, sausage & pepperoni) for $3.14 for students and teachers w/ ID, and $5.50 for those more mathematically challenged (i.e., without ID) after 3:14pm. Plus E=MC2 daiquiris for $8. Offer good Thursday & Friday 3/14 &15.
- My Pie Pizza, 2010 N. Damen Av., Chicago, 773-394-6900, 11am-10pm,MyPiPizza.com. Offering a thin slice of pizza with a regular fountain drink for $3.14.
- Artopolis Chicago, Bakery, Cafe & Agora, 306 S. Halsted St., Chicago, 312-559-9000, Thurs. 9am-12am, ArtopolisChicago.com . Offering their signature menu item a savory pie, called Arto-PI-tas, for only $3.14 (usually $4.50) all day.
- Ina's, 1235 W. Randolph St., Chicago, 312-226-8227, Thurs. 7am-2pm, BreakfastQueen.com. Offering a special Chicken Pot Pi on their lunch menu.
- Keefer's Restaurant, 20 West Kinzie St., Chicago, 312-467-9525, Thurs. 11:30am-10pm, KeefersRestaurant.com. Offering a special Shepherd's Pi (meat pie with a mashed potato crust).
- Wishbone, 3300 N. Lincoln Av., Chicago, 773-549-2663, Thurs., 7am-3pm and 5pm-9pm, WishboneChicago.com. Offering slices of pie for $3.14.