Those spreads can get quite elaborate, but that doesn't mean they have to cost a lot. Chef Catherine De Orio with Hillshire Brands (www.hillshirebrands.com/) came into our ABC7 studio kitchen to show us how to make a great Easter brunch for less than $50.
Chef Cat's Recipes:
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Cups
Yield: 5 servings (2 cups each)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes Ingredients:
1 cup (Jimmy Dean) Hearty Pork Sausage Crumbles
3 eggs, beaten
1 pkg (7.5 oz) refrigerated biscuits (10 count)
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook and stir sausage and eggs in a large skillet over medium heat until eggs are scrambled and set.
2. Flatten each biscuit and place into a greased muffin tin covering bottom and sides forming a cup.
3. Spoon sausage and egg mixture evenly into cups. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until edges of biscuit are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Cheesy Potatoes with Smoked Sausage Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 pkg. (Hillshire Farm) Smoked Sausage
1 bag (20 oz) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cut sausage into ½" cubes. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Toasted Pound Cake With Whipped Cream
Yield: 2 servings (1 slice each)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
1 package (Sara Lee) Frozen Pound Cake
1/2 cup strawberries sliced
1. Toast two slices of thawed pound cake in toaster or on baking dish on lightest setting until lightly browned.
2. Top with sliced strawberries
3. Top with Whipped Cream
Spring Strawberry-Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
6 cups baby spinach; rinsed and dried
1/2 cup strawberries; rinsed, dried, hulled and sliced
1/8 cup red onion; thinly sliced
1/3 cup goat cheese; crumbled
Poppy Seed Dressing
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white onion (approx. half small onion); roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds; lightly toasted
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
In a large bowl toss together spinach, strawberries, red onion and goat cheese.
In a blender or food processor, pulse sugar, white wine vinegar, onion and dijon mustard until smooth.
While blender/food processor is running, add oil in a slow, steady stream until completely emulsified.
Season to taste with salt. Stir in poppy seeds and serve with salad.