Proper care and maintenance can protect your car's longevity.
The Car Coach, Lauren Fix has some advice.
More Information: www.laurenfix.com
- Tips to keep your vehicle running better for longer:
- Critical Fluids: There are 9 fluids in your car; one of the most important is motor oil, which helps extend the engine's life. Choosing the right oil for your engine makes a HUGE difference. Check your owner's manual to ensure you're using the proper fluids.
- Clean the Fuel System: This is an easy way to restore and improve fuel economy, increase horsepower, reduce deposit-related engine knocking and pinging and prevent corrosion and oxidation. Max-Clean is a fuel system cleaner and stabilizer that is safe for gasoline and diesel vehicles. Just one bottle treats 15-20 gallons! For around $17 you can save $100's by cleaning your fuel system. www.tricoproducts.com/force
- Be prepared for anything: Car batteries work harder during the winter than any other season, which means they are most likely to die during the spring months. Make sure you are prepared for a dead battery with The PEAK Compact Battery Jump-Starter 900, a portable device that can restart car batteries without the need of another car. It comes equipped with a 12V 1-amp USB outlet to run/charge mobile phones, work lights, radios and many other DC-powered accessories. It is safer to use, store and transport than traditional jump-start methods. Price: $109.99 http://www.peakauto.com/products/electronics/
- Fix-A-Flat: Most drivers have no clue how to change a flat tire. The Fix-A-Flat Ultimate 1-Step brings new-car technology to every car on the road. No more waiting for a tow truck or bothering with a jack and spare. Simply connect one end to the tire and the other to the power outlet, and in seven minutes you are back on the road. The tire will be sealed and inflated using the built-in tire gauge and lasts up to 500 miles. The powerful 12-volt tire inflator can also be used without the sealant to top off a low tire any time. A sealant refill is available, which means the Fix-A-Flat Ultimate 1-Step is the last spare tire you will ever need. Price: $29.95. http://www.fixaflat.com/products/tire-repair-kits/
And they now make a tire sealant for bicycles so you're not on the side of the road replacing a tube or a tire. Permanently seal tube punctures up to 1/8 inch for around $10.
In addition, a basic emergency kit should be in your auto at all times.
The key to proper car care is to always refer to your vehicle's owners' manual. If you don't have one or want more details, contact the Car Care Council for a FREE Car Care Guide in English, Spanish or French at www.carcare.org or go to Lauren Fix's website.