Mindy Segal, the Chef and Owner of HotChocolate Restaurant in Chicago's Bucktown neighborhood has added rhubarb to its menu. Mindy says rhubarb compote can be a versatile ingredient in desserts and be a big crowd pleaser for summer parties. Mindy will join 30 of the nation's best chefs to make fresh, summer recipes like these on June 15th for a big charity food and wine event called Five Star Sensation, which benefits the University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center in Cleveland.
Five Star Sensation ? A Celebration of Food and Wine
Saturday, June 15, 2013
7 PM to Midnight
Cuyahoga Community College, Eastern Campus
4250 Richmond Road, Highland Hills, OH 44122
Tickets Available at FiveStarSensation.org
1747 N Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
Strawberry rose consomme
- 1 bottle sparkling Ros?
- 2 pints strawberries
- 1/2- 1 cup sugar
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp honey
To make strawberry ros? consomm?
- Clean and hull strawberries and marinate in sparkling rose for 24 hours.
- In a heavy-duty saucepot combine strawberries, ros?, sugar, juice of an orange, and honey.
- Bring mixture to a boil turn down to a simmer and cook until strawberries have been broken down. (about 20 min)
- Let liquid settle for a few minutes.
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth and let liquid slowly drain.
- (Reserve pulp for preserve)
- Taste consomm? and adjust seasoning. If too sweet squeeze a ? of a lemon in liquid.
- 2 stalks field rhubarb
To poach rhubarb
- Clean rhubarb of all dirt by rinsing in cold water. Remove all leafs or green part of rhubarb.
- Cube rhubarb into small cups. (Approximately ?"high)
- Bring consomm? up to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Cook rhubarb until tender. Do not bring to a boil.
- Place consomm? with rhubarb in a shallow soup bowl and serve warm with a scoop of seasonal sorbet or your favorite ice cream.