Celebrate your Italian pride or amore for Italian culture and music, food, fashion and fun at the 7th Annual Taylor Street Festa Italiana! From Thursday, August 22nd ? Sunday, August 25th, the annual festival returns to Taylor Street celebrating the history and heritage of Chicago's Little Italy. Open to all ages, guests will be inspired to dress, eat, and speak like a true Italian for this fun-filled weekend! Featuring Taylor Street's renowned restaurants, live entertainment, the highly anticipated Turano Baking Company and Fontanini Meatball Eating Contest, grape stomping, bocce ball and much more, this popular Chicago festival attracts over 50,000 guests in four days. Turano Baking Company's Executive Chef, Paul Brigante shows some of the popular dishes from the festival and shares the recipe for Pane Frittata Casserole with Meatballs & Sausage.
7th Annual Taylor Street Festa Italiana
Thursday, August 22nd - Sunday, August 25th
- Thursday: 5pm to 11pm
- Friday: 5pm to 11pm
- Saturday: 12pm to 11pm
- Sunday: 2pm to 10pm
Pane Frittata Casserole with Meatballs & Sausage9" x 13" x 3" Casserole Dish
2 Tbsp Melted Butter
8 Slices from a 2 Lb Pane Turano (each slice cut into 3 pieces)
5 ? 2 oz Fontanini Meatballs, each Meatball sliced into 6 pieces
1 Lb Fontanini Cooked Italian Sausage Links, sliced
2 Cups Half & Half
1 ½ Cups Whole Milk
3 Cups Shredded Provolone / Mozzarella Blend
2 Cups Finely Shredded Cheddar Jack Cheese
- Rub inside of casserole with butter to prevent sticking.
- In a gallon bowl, mix Half & Half and whole milk.
- Break eggs into separate bowl, then pour into milk. Whip eggs and milk until completely incorporated.
- Layer bottom of casserole with half of the bread slices.
- Add a layer of sliced meatballs and half of both cheese mixes.
- Pour half of the egg & milk mixture.
- Repeat for a second layer; bread, sausage slices, cheese and egg/milk mixture.
- Cover casserole with plastic wrap and foil. Allow to rest for 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350°, place covered casserole on middle rack in center of oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and continued to bake for another 10 minutes, or until interior temperature of casserole reaches 155°.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Allow to set for 15 minutes before cutting. Cut into squares and serve.
- Add cooked veggies or diced jalapeno peppers before baking for a little more "kick".