You can find more recipes likes this on the Live Well Network.
Recipe for Toad in the Hole Difficulty: Easy
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
4 oz. bacon slices, diced
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 eggs (as fresh as possible)
4 slices of white or wheat bread (try to get large slices that have a firm texture)
1 Tablespoon butter
5 cups (about 2 1/2 oz) washed and dried baby arugula
8 slices from large, ripe tomatoes
Additional salt and pepper for the eggs
1. In a large sauté pan, sauté bacon on moderate heat until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan.
2. Place 2 Tablespoons hot bacon fat in a bowl. Add balsamic vinegar, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Reserve.
3. Using a round 2 ½-3 inch wide cookie cutter, cut the centers out of each slice of bread.
4. In a hot, non-stick sauté pan, add 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil and half of the butter. When the butter has melted, add 2 slices of bread. Crack an egg into the center of each piece of bread. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Sauté until the egg has set and the bread has browned. Flip and continue cooking until desired doneness. When done, remove from pan, and cook the other 2 slices of bread in the same way.
5. Add the tomato slices to the pan and cook briefly on both sides so as to only warm the slices without softening them too much.
6. In a bowl, combine the bacon fat and balsamic vinaigrette, arugula and reserved browned diced bacon.
7. To complete the dish, top each toad in the hole with 2 warm tomato slices and a mound of arugula bacon salad.