The site has remained closed since 2008. Thursday a new retailer has moved in and residents say it will help the community moved forward.
There was a line of people waiting to go in to the new TJ Maxx store, before the ribbon was cut the group had a moment of silence for the five women killed inside.
In 2008, police say, a gunman posing as a delivery man walked into the former Lane Bryant store, tied up four customers and two employees, and shot them.
The surviving woman helped police create a sketch of the alleged gunman. Since then, thousands of tips poured in, but years later no arrests have been made.
And now, a new store, TJ Maxx has moved in.
Residents say it's a way for the town to move on.
"Before, there was absolutely nothing when you drive by," said customer Michele Morris. "It was just sad it's all you thought about and now there is new life to this little area and I think people start coming again, it will be fine."
"It's happened five years ago again and we need to move on," said Tinley Park Mayor Ed Zabrocki. "Secondly, it's something we'll never forget. It's something we'll always remember."
"We certainly understand the many sensitivities regarding this location and we respectfully look forward to supporting the community as a good neighbor," TJ Maxx officials said in a statement released Thursday morning.
The store will also donate $10,000 to charity in memory of the five women killed there.
Not everyone is happy about a TJ Maxx being there. Some residents wanted to see a memorial at the site, while others wanted the building torn down.