Public Welcomed to Attend Veterans "Day of Appreciation" at Chicago's Union Station on Monday, November 11
Employees of Fifth Third Bank (Chicago) will host their annual "Veterans Day of Appreciation" event on Monday, November 11, 2013, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Union Station (225 S. Canal, Chicago).
1. Donate to Educate. Employees and veterans will collect donations from the public to fund educational scholarships through the Folds of Honor Foundation. These will be awarded to local families of soldiers wounded or killed in action. The bank will match all donations up to $50,000 total. Donations also accepted via text (53VETS to 27722 to make a $10 donation).
2. Operation Gratitude. Volunteers will put together care packages that will be sent to soldiers in Afghanistan and given to veterans receiving care at the Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital. The public is encouraged to stop by to donate new or gently used books and write notes of support that will go into the care packages.
3. Veterans Pavilion. The following veterans organizations will be on site sharing information: Folds of Honor Foundation, Heart of a Marine Foundation, Pritzker Military Library, USO of Illinois and War Dogs Making it Home,
4. USO Welcome Center. A "pop up" welcome center will be staged in the Great Hall, where both active duty soldiers and veterans can enjoy a comfortable place to gather for a "no dough" lunch and other hospitality. The bank is also underwriting the USO's annual holiday program providing Thanksgiving meals to 150 Chicago area military families.
5. Veterans Appreciation Rally. Starting at 1 p.m., business and civic leaders will join bank employees and the public for a one hour rally. First Lieutenant Charles "Lynn" Lowder, United States Marine Corps, will provide a keynote address, "One Veteran at a Time," and sharing thoughts about the transition of soldiers from military to workforce and civilian life.
"Every single person that lives in the United States benefits from the hard work, commitment and sacrifice of our nation's soldiers," said Robert A. Sullivan, president & CEO, Fifth Third Bank (Chicago). "We're excited to invite the community to join us on Veterans Day to demonstrate our gratitude for all who serve in the military."
More information is available online at: www53Vets.com (#53Vets).