Students hospitalized after chemical lab fire

November 25, 2013 2:11:54 PM PST
Five Chicago high school students are hospitalized after a fire broke out in their chemical lab.

Ambulances rushed to Lincoln Park High School shortly before noon Monday.

"The children were doing an experiment utilizing methanol in a small container and the container broke while it was ignited and some of the burning liquid spilled on top of a work table. A teacher saw it and immediately extinguished the fire with a water-based extinguisher," said Assistant Deputy Commissioner Mark Nielsen, Chicago Fire Department.

A 16-year-old girl who was wearing eye protection suffered second-degree burns to her forehead and stomach.

Four other students suffered minor burns.

Load Comments