Chef Chris Raucci of Ted's Montana Grill visits the ABC 7 State Street Studio to show us the differences in preparing bison over beef.
Ted's Montana Grill's #10 Burger
- 8 ounces freshly ground bison
- 1/2 teaspoon Ted's Special Spice Mixture (see recipe below), divided
- 1 Kaiser roll, toasted
- 2 slices of American cheese
- 6 slices of Sweet and Spicy Pickles
- 1 1/2 ounces of shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 Slices of Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Ted's Sauce (see recipe)
2. Form the ground bison into a loose patty. It should have rough edges and should never be compacted.
3. Holding the burger over the grill use the seasoning shaker to "rain" a third of the Ted's Special Spice Mixture onto one side of the burger.
4. Place the burger seasoned side down on hot side of the grill and repeat the "rain" process to the unseasoned side. Cover the grill. Cook the burger half-way to desired temperature (generally, the half-way point for a medium burger is 4 minutes), uncover and gently flip the burger and move it to the cooler side. Never press the burger with the spatula. When the burger is flipped, season the burger a third time using the "rain" method. Cover the grill and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Uncover grill, add cheese to the burger and cover the grill again. When the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes, uncover the grill. When the burger reaches the appropriate temperature, remove the burger from the grill and place on the bottom of the toasted bun.
6. Top burger with the Sweet and Spicy Pickles. Spread Ted's Sauce on the surface of the top of the bun, place the shredded lettuce and sliced tomatoes on top of the Ted's Sauce and place on top of the burger. Serve immediately.
Ted's Special Spice Mixture
Makes: 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Makes: 4.5 Cups
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup green onions (1/8'' cut)
For more information: Ted's Montana Grill