A lot of them work part-time. So how do you balance classes, your job and your social life. Mathew Stewart, CEO College Works Painting, came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to share tips.
Set goals for each category:
- number of credit hours
- other academic considerations this semester
- How much money do you need to earn?
- How many hours a week do you hope to spend with friends?
Make a monthly calendar and stick to it:
- homework assignments
- project due dates
- work-related training
- personal events
Have a contingency plan:
- Make a shift-trading alliance with a co-worker: agree that you will trade shifts if one of you is up against an academic deadline
- Have a rainy day fund to offset expenses when you have to miss work because of school
Treat school like a job:
- Don't be tempted to skip out because of an unforeseen distraction.
- Show up.
Gain Practical Business Experience:
Seek opportunities that give you practical business experience that you can take with you beyond college.