• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

Hammond fire that killed 3 kids ruled accidental

January 16, 2014 2:37:49 PM PST
Investigators determined that a fire that killed three children in Hammond last week was accidental.

They found that a propane heater sparked the flames. Two other children -- the victims' siblings -- were hurt in that fire. They've been released from the hospital.

Isaiah Sammon, 6, and 2-year-old Evian Young are doing well after they were saved by their father, but three other children, 7-month-old Jayden, 3-year-old Alexis and 4-year-old Dasani Young died in the blaze January 8. The children's grandmother says their mother had tried to get heat for their apartment.

"When it was cut off she went to the Salvation Army, put money into account to have it paid up and it wasn't enough," Stephanie Pittman said. "I don't understand why. They had a disabled child, give them a break."

The children's father, 27-year-old Andre Young, remains in critical condition with injuries he suffered trying to rescue his children.


Load Comments