You can find more recipes likes this on the Live Well Network.
Recipe for Roasted Pineapple Sundae Bowls
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
1 large, fresh pineapple (if the pineapples are small, each one will make 2 portions)
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons dark rum
Vanilla ice cream
- Shredded coconut
- Diced mango
- Whipped cream with powdered sugar and dark rum added
- Chopped coconut macaroons
- Diced fresh papaya
1. Remove the top and bottom of the pineapple. Trim the sides to remove the skin and "eyes." Cut the pineapple into 3 equal pieces, so that you have 3 squat cylinders.
2. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the center out of the pineapple without cutting through to the bottom. The sides should be about 3/4 inch thick and the bottom about 1 inch thick. You can eat the pineapple that was removed.
3. Rub 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar around the outside and bottom of each pineapple piece. Place the pineapples upside down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
4. Roast the pineapple in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes, basting the pineapple once during this time with the juices that will collect in the bottom of the dish.
5. Meanwhile, combine remaining 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar and rum.
6. Turn the pineapple pieces over and brush with brown sugar/rum mixture. Make sure that all of this mixture is brushed around the top and inside of the pineapple pieces.
7. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, basting once during the cooking. (If the juices start to caramelize on the bottom of the dish, add a small amount of water to keep it saucy.)
8. Remove from the oven and let cool.
9. When ready to serve, place a pineapple "bowl" on a plate. Fill with vanilla ice cream and top with the sauce from the bottom of the baking dish and any additional toppings.