The man was taken into custody on Tuesday around 3 p.m. after a robbery at the Fifth Third Bank at Dearborn and Madison in the Loop. The offender allegedly handed a note to a teller and then fled with an undisclosed amount cash, according to FBI spokeswoman Joan Hyde. The FBI said no weapon was displayed and no one was hurt.
He was described as a man in his late 20s or early 30s, about 5-foot-4 with a thin build, wearing a dark green hoodie, blue jeans and black gym shoes, Hyde said. He was carrying a red backpack.
Chicago Police saw a person matching his description a short time later and arrested him at Chicago and Wabash avenues, Hyde said. Charges are pending.
An offender with a similar description whom the FBI called the Benchwarmer Bandit is wanted in six bank robberies, including the Loop robbery:
1. TCF Bank. 3531 N. Broadway. Chicago. 3/16/2014. 9:45AM.
2. TCF Bank. 4355 N Sheridan. CG. IL. 3/21/14. 9:02AM.
3. TCF Bank. 2940 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL on 3/24/2014. 9:37 AM
4. Citibank. 3128 N. Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL on 3/29/2014 at 10:07AM.
5. Citibank. 111 W. Jackson. Chicago, IL on 4/8/14. 8:22AM.
6. Fifth Third Bank. 1 South Dearborn. Chicago, IL