CHICAGO (WLS) --A vigil is being held Thursday night for a man who was shot and killed by two Chicago police officers during a traffic stop in January 2011.
A jury found the shooting of Darius Pinex was justified, but this week, a judge ruled two city attorneys concealed evidence in the case and ordered a new trial for those officers.
Pinex's mother is holding the vigil at the site of the shooting at 67th and May in Englewood. She said this is an important week for her because of the ruling, but it is also the 5th anniversary of her son's death.
"They should never have had the chance to resign. They should have been fired immediately. It came out in the middle of the trial. It should have never taken this long to them to say that he was wrong," Gloria Pinex said.
Earlier this week, a federal judge blasted the two city lawyers for defending the cops in the civil lawsuit, saying the trial was unfair because the city lawyers concealed evidence that contradicted the officer's stories. That means the family will get a new trial and another day in court.
"I am hoping I walk away with another victory," Gloria Pinex said.
The two city attorneys involved in this case have resigned and the cases that they are involved with are now being reviewed.
Meanwhile, there are elected officials who are concerned that the Department of Justice should not only investigate the Chicago Police Department, but also the city's law department.