'Mommy on a Shoestring' Beth Engelman stopped by to share some great DIY April Fool's Day pranks for parents to play on kids that will not break the bank!
Try these ideas for foods that look like one thing, but are actually made of something else!
1. Chicken Pot Pie - It looks like chicken pot pie, but it is actually vanilla pudding. The chicken is made out of caramel, peas are green fondant icing, and corn and carrots are made out of Starburts.
2. Cupcakes - It looks like a cupcake with frosting, but it's mashed potatoes that are tinted with food coloring, and the cupcake part is meatloaf.
3. Deviled eggs - White chocolate melted in an Easter egg, filled with yellow frosting, and sprinkled with red sugar for paprika.
4. Fish sticks or chicken nuggets with french fries - The fries are pound cake you cut and toast with red icing for ketchup. For fish sticks, you melt vanilla frosting and dip it in crushed Raison Bran cereal to look like its fried.
5. Cereal - put a couple drops of food coloring at the bottom of a bowl and cover it with cereal. Have your kids pour the milk and watch the food and milk change color.
DIY April Fool's Day pranks
FAMILY & PARENTING
More Family & Parenting