Wash. home gutted by blaze caused by neighbor's firework

EMBED </>More News Videos

Fireworks mark the 4th of July, but in Washington, they've cost a family so much.

Fireworks mark the July 4th celebration, but in the town of Graham, Washington, they've cost a family so much,. And it wasn't their fault.

Kathy Heller's home is a total loss.

"This is where everyone comes for comfort," she said. "Now my comfort is gone, my safe spot is gone."

Saturday night, Kathy was at dinner with her grandkids when a teen net door lit a firework. It tipped over and shot straight into Heller's house.

"How could somebody allow them to do this?" Heller said.

In this case, the family that lit the mortar will likely be liable for the damage. They owned up to it right away.

It doesn't make things easier for Heller.

"I'm scared, but I'm gonna take one day at a time right now," she said.

Heller is left to salvage what's left inside the home she shared with her late husband.
Related Topics:
newsu.s. & worldfireworksWashington

Load Comments