Neighbors help 2 handicapped people escape burning Aurora home after lightning strike

(Shutterstock)

Neighbors helped rescue two handicapped persons after a lightning strike sparked a fire in an Aurora home Friday afternoon, according to the Aurora Fire Department.

Fire crews arrived in the 3100-block of Bennett Place at approximately 2:58 p.m. and found heavy fire on the roof of the 2 1/2 story home. They found that neighbors had helped the two handicapped occupants of the house escape.

It took fire crews 2 1/2 hours to to put out the fire and the home was deemed uninhabitable, the fire department said. The victims were able to stay with family nearby.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury but did not require transportation to a hospital. No civilians were injured.

The fire was caused by a lightning strike according to the Aurora Fire Department.
Related Topics:
newsfireAurora
(Copyright ©2016 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments