ELMHURST, Ill. (WLS) --A new Illinois law has been passed to help save the lives of some who suffer from severe allergic reactions.
The Annie LeGere law is named after the 13-year old Elmhurst girl who died one year ago from a severe allergic reaction.
Previously, the law prohibited police from administering an EpiPen on LeGere. She died before paramedics could get to her.
Now, law enforcement officials can use EpiPens.
On Saturday, lawmakers presented LeGere's mother with the signed bill.
"This is bitter sweet for me because I no longer have Annie, but the lives that this may save just makes it so much more tolerable I guess," she said.
A tree was planted in LeGere's honor at Sandburg Middle School, where she was a student.