Consumer Reports: Cars owners love to hate

EMBED </>More News Videos

Driving a brand new car off the lot is always exciting. Unfortunately, that new-car honeymoon can be short-lived according to more than 300,000 people in Consumer Reports' Annual Owner Satisfaction Survey. (WLS)

Driving a brand new car off the lot is always exciting. Unfortunately, that new-car honeymoon can be short-lived according to more than 300,000 people in Consumer Reports' Annual Owner Satisfaction Survey. Here's a peek at what cars owners love to hate.

At first everything was great with Felix Garza's brand new Ford Fiesta, but after only a year and a half it needing a new transmission.

"I was really upset. I thought someone sold me a lemon," Garza said.

In their annual Satisfaction Survey, Consumer Reports found that Felix isn't alone in his buyer's remorse.

"(About) 70 percent of the respondents in our survey said they were happy and they would buy their vehicle again, but of course that leaves 30 percent that were not happy," said Mike Monticello, Consumer Reports Autos Editor.

Owners of the Dodge Dart were far from thrilled, reporting annoyances ranging from sluggish acceleration to weak air conditioning, along with multiple mechanical problems causing trips to the dealer for repairs, making the Dart the most disliked compact car.

"People who bought minivans seemed to be pretty happy with their purchase, except maybe for Dodge Grand Caravan buyers," Monticello said.

Dissatisfied owners said the transmission shifts roughly and it has uncomfortable rear seats with an interior that felt cheaply made. They even hate the radio.

"The least liked car in our entire survey was the Acura ILX," Monticello said.

Just 41 percent of respondents said they would buy the ILX again. Owners panned its lack of quality, pokey acceleration, excessive road noise and rough ride.

If you're looking to buy a new car sometime soon, there's an important take-away from this survey.

"If these people were unsatisfied with the car, chances are, you're probably going to be unsatisfied too," Monticello said.

But it wasn't all bad. Consumer Reports said owners loved their hybrids. About 90 percent of Chevy Volt owners would buy their cars again, and so would 89 percent of Toyota Prius and 78 percent of RAV4 Hybrid owners.

CLICK HERE for the full results of Consumer Reports' survey.

All Consumer Reports Material Copyright 2017. Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Consumer Reports is a not for profit organization which accepts no advertising. It has no commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site. For more information visit consumer.org
Related Topics:
automotiveconsumer reportsauto news

Load Comments