Father accused of killing son, 5, says he didn't 'flee' to Vegas

EMBED </>More Videos

A South Pasadena man accused of murdering his 5-year-old son didn't fight being returned from Las Vegas to SoCal at a hearing Tuesday, saying he never came to Nevada to "flee." (KABC)

A South Pasadena man accused of murdering his 5-year-old son didn't fight being returned from Las Vegas back to Southern California, saying he never came to Nevada to "flee."

Aramazd Andressian Sr. will be coming back to Southern California on Thursday.

The 35-year-old, who was arrested last week in Vegas, appeared at a brief hearing in court Tuesday, where it was decided that he would be sent back to the Southland.

He appeared cool, calm and very collected in the courtroom, even smiling broadly and laughing at one point during his exchange with the judge.

WATCH: Aramazd Andressian Sr. makes court appearance

EMBED More News Videos

Aramazd Andressian Sr., who is accused of murdering his 5-year-old son, appeared at an extradition hearing in Las Vegas on Tuesday, June 27, 2017.


Andressian Sr. told the judge he had fired his previous attorney and was aware of his rights. He said he didn't have any questions regarding the extradition hearing.

"I mean, pretty much if California wants me, they can come get me within the set period of time," he told the judge.

The judge then asked Andressian Sr. to confirm that he doesn't want to fight extradition.

"No, I never came here in an intent to flee, so absolutely not," Andressian Sr. answered.

The judge then clarified that California authorities have 30 days from now to come collect Andressian Sr.

EMBED More News Videos

Aramazd Andressian Sr. was arrested for the murder of his son and booked at a jail in Las Vegas on June 23, 2017.


Andressian Sr. is charged with killing his son, Aramazd Andressian Jr., who vanished more than two months ago.

The boy was last seen alive during a family trip to Disneyland on April 20. Investigators believe Andressian Sr. killed his son sometime the next day.

There was a massive search effort for the missing boy in the Lake Cachuma area, because that's where his father was seen shortly after the boy's disappearance.

Authorities believe he killed his son to get back at his ex-wife Ana Estevez amid a tumultuous divorce.

Although the boy's body has not been found, detectives and the district attorney's office believe there is enough evidence for a conviction. If convicted as charged, the suspect faces a sentence of 25 years to life in prison, District Attorney Jackie Lacey said.

"I can only speak for myself. If my son was missing, I would be doing things that Ana was doing - circulating fliers, looking for your son," said Detective Joe Mendoza with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. "He was not doing that. He was socializing in Vegas."

Investigators said when Andressian Sr. changed his appearance by shaving his beard and dying his hair, they feared he might try to flee the country. That's when authorities arrested him.

An exact date for his return to California was not immediately announced. Andressian Sr. is being held at the Clark County jail in Las Vegas on $10 million bail.

Related Topics:
newsmissing boymurderfather chargedchild killedu.s. & worldCaliforniaNevada
(Copyright ©2017 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments