Man, 60, injured after propane tank explodes in Soldier Field parking lot

EMBED </>More Videos

An explosion and fire occurred Saturday at Soldier Field. (WLS)

A 60-year-old man was injured when a propane tank caught fire and exploded Saturday afternoon in a parking lot outside of Soldier Field.

About 11:45 a.m., the tank was being used to cook food for an event in the parking lot near Gate 6 of the stadium when it caught fire, according to Chicago police and Chicago Fire Media Affairs.

The tank then exploded, police said.

The man, who was working the event, suffered smoke inhalation during the incident, police said. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition.


The explosion occurred during the after party for the Autism Speaks Walk event which was taking place at Soldier Field. A worker said that a gas grill exploded.

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2018.)

WLS-TV contributed to this report

Smoke is seen near Soldier Field after a reported explosion.

Related Topics:
explosionsoldier fieldChicagoSouth Loop