CHICAGO (WLS) --Fall is a great time to explore nature across the state of Illinois. Illinois State Travel Director, Cory Jobe stopped by ABC 7 to share some ideas.
- Starting at the northern part of our state, Galena is a gorgeous fall color destination and a perfect way to view the colors on the rolling hills of Galena is via a Hot Air Balloon ride - Galena on the Fly
- Or take a video while you speed over the trees in the Tapley Woods on a Zip Line Tour, Long Hollow Canopy Tour. You'll reach heights of 75 feet and get that bird's eye view.
- Alton Hauntings Tour - this tour offers a spine-tingling trip to the unknown, taking visitors to the haunted sites in one of America's most haunted towns. Freak out your followers with creepy photos.
The Adventure Traveler
- There are some incredible bike trails and renowned areas for serious bicyclists here in Illinois, and fall is a great time to get out and take these scenic routes. The Great River Road in Illinois winds for 550 miles along the Mississippi River and the bluffs near the western side of Illinois.
- Believe it or not, there are some pretty significant areas for scaling up large cliffs and bluffs in Illinois and the mild fall weather makes it an ideal time for a climb. Head to Pere Marquette State Park near Grafton Illinois and capture those fall colors and river views from one of the most gorgeous vistas in Illinois. People won't believe this spot is in Illinois.
- Not far from Chicago, right along the North Shore is a hidden gem for canoeing, kayaking, fishing or biking - the Skokie Lagoons. You can rent a canoe or kayak (or bring your own) right there and set sail to see the fall colors changing along the water. They even do sunset dinner cruises, paddle around, then they set up dinner for your group along the water.
The Fall Foodie
- Fall means chili. And Illinois has one of the most top rated Chili - voted #2 chili spot in the country - The Chili Parlor in Springfield.
- We love to celebrate our own Illinois makers, and many Illinois Made brewers offer fall flavored micro brews and
Scorched Earth Brewing Company - Algonquin
Crypt Keeper (Imperial Pumpkin Porter)
Whiskey Acres - DeKalb
Apple Flavored Corn Whiskey - a young whiskey made with fresh apples, perfect for that fall cocktail