6 students treated for drug overdoses on prescription medicine at Bowen High School

CHICAGO -- Six students were expected to survive after overdosing on prescription medication at Bowen High School on the South Side.

Paramedics were called about 10:45 a.m. to the school at 2710 E. 89th St. for the call of a sick child, according to Chicago Fire Dept. spokesman Larry Langford.

The principal contacted the nurse's office for a male student who passed out after ingesting something, a Chicago police spokesperson said. The school then learned of several other students, all between ages 15 and 17, who passed out under similar circumstances.

Authorities were not sure exactly what medication the students had taken, but they believed it may have been anti-anxiety pills, Langford said.

"They should be fine," Langford said. "Everybody is expected to make a full recovery."

Four students were taken to Trinity Hospital in fair condition, and two others were taken to South Shore Hospital in good condition, Langford said.

In a letter to parents, Bowen principal Priscilla Horton said a "small number of students ingested pills and became ill during the school day." She said that Chicago police and the students' parents were immediately notified, and that the situation is being handled according to Chicago Public Schools policy.

"As always, the staff at Bowen will continue working to provide all students with a safe, positive learning environment where they can reach their full potential," Horton said. "If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school directly."

(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2019.)