Driver charged with DUI in deadly chain-reaction crash after shooting on Eisenhower Expressway: ISP

Updated 3 hours ago
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A driver is facing DUI charges in connection with a deadly chain-reaction crash that happened on the Eisenhower Expressway over the weekend, Illinois State Police said on Tuesday.

Jose F. Perez Marin, a 21-year-old Chicago man, is charged with one count of Aggravated Driving Under the Influence Involving Death, one count of Aggravated DUI - No Driver's License, and one count of Aggravated DUI - Great Bodily Harm.



ISP said troopers initially responded to a shooting on westbound Interstate 290 at California Avenue around 11:20 p.m. Saturday. That's near the city's Near West Side and Lawndale neighborhoods.

A person riding a motorcycle had been shot and crashed, ISP said. The motorcyclist was transported to a local hospital in an unknown condition.



While closures were in place for the investigation, troopers also responded to westbound I-290, about 1 mile east of the shooting scene, around 3 a.m. Sunday.

Perez Marin was driving a GMC SUV on I-290 when he rear-ended a Toyota SUV, which caused a chain-reaction crash with two other vehicles west of Ashland Avenue, ISP said.

A passenger in the Toyota SUV, 25-year-old Wheaton man Benjamin M. Farraday, was transported to a local hospital and died from his injuries.

Perez Marin and five other people were also injured in the crash. After Perez Marin was released from the hospital, ISP arrested him.

Perez Marin remains in custody at the Cook County Jail pending his first court appearance.

The video in the player above is from a previous report.

INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER Track crime and safety in your neighborhood
Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.