Hudson family returns to crime scene

AP: Balfour missed parole appointment Friday, said he was 'baby-sitting'
CHICAGO Members of the Hudson family went into the Englewood home Tuesday night and brought out possessions. They also received a stack of cards from well-wishers.

"Thank you for your prayers, no comment," said the sister of Donerson.

"It was really hard to see all the pain they're going through 'cause you feel it too," said neighbor Nicolette Nichols.

Jennifer Hudson's sister was also thanking people for their prayers and support. In a message posted on her MySpace page, Julia said her son's "lil soul is at ease."

On her MySpace page, Julia Hudson also wrote, "Because I chose to do what is natural to me and love someone, it cost me my beautiful family."

An autopsy was performed Tuesday on Julia's son, Julian King, whose body was found in the back seat of an SUV Monday. Authorities in Chicago say the 7-year-old nephew of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson died of two gunshot wounds to the head.

The SUV belonged to the actress' brother, Jason, 29, who, along with their mother, Darnell Donerson, 57, was murdered Friday. The SUV was part of an Amber Alert issued after Julian was reported missing.

The SUV was found about two miles from where police arrested a person of interest in the murders, 27-year-old William Balfour. Balfour is the estranged husband of Julia Hudson, Jennifer's sister.

Balfour, King's stepfather, has been named as a person of interest in the killings. He missed an appointment with his parole agent Friday, and reportedly said he couldn't make it because he was "babysitting." In records obtained by The Associated Press, Balfour's parole agent said he thought he heard a child in the background during Friday's call.

Balfour violated terms of his parole by possessing a weapon and failing to attend anger management counseling and a substance abuse program. Balfour's lengthy arrest report shows that he was arrested in June for possessing about $100 in cocaine. An officer pulled Balfour over near the Hudson home at South 70th and Yale and observed a knotted baggie filled with a rocklike substance in the driver's seat.

Balfour previously served seven years for attempted murder and vehicular hijacking. In 1998, he stole a Chevy Suburban and, court records show, with the victim hanging on top, he intentionally drove into a light pole, a fence gate, an iron gate and finally another fence with the intent to dislodge the victim.

Cook County spokesman Sean Howard said in Tuesday's autopsy the county's medical examiner ruled Julian King's death a homicide.

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that police sources say the motive in the killings could be related to unpaid car payments-- and the person responsible for the killings may have had ongoing disputes with members of the Hudson family.

Julia Hudson is a bus driver for Sunrise Transportation. The president of the company said an auto loan company recently informed them they were seeking a court order to garnish Julia's wages to pay a car loan.

Police have also said that they believe the killings are "domestic related." Apparently, the Hudson family agrees. They have set up a fund for domestic violence prevention. They released a statement that says in part, "in establishing the Hudson-King Domestic Violence Prevention Fund, our hope is to reach beyond our walls to others that are suffering or have experienced loss."

Police continue to call Balfour, who is currently in state custody on a parole violation, a 'person of interest' in the killings. Police were back at the Hudson home in Englewood Monday night, using metal detectors on the yard and searching inside the home again as well.

A family friend said that Balfour was very angry with his family after being thrown out, that he often went on angry tirades and was prone to violence. Another friend said he would try and steer clear because of the violence that Balfour was prone to.

Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis says he is confident the killer will be caught.

"I suspect that we'll have some evidence that will link us to the killer," said Weis. "We're going through all the evidence that we picked up. We're following every possible lead that might develop. When they come up, we run it down. Right now, we don't have anything new to put out, other than our detectives are continuing to work around the clock, following up any possible leads that might be available and out there. We will solve this case."

Meanwhile, there has been an outpouring of support for the Hudson family.

On Monday night, hundreds gathered outside the Hudson home for an emotional candlelight vigil for the Hudson family. In front of the home, the memorial of balloons, cards and mementos continues to grow.

"This is a sad day. All the young people getting killed out here. I got children of my own. It kind of touched me. That's why I wanted to come out here and show my support," said Thomas Parker, mourner.

Funeral arrangements for the Hudson family are pending.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.