Dog rescued from fire by owner dies

null Veterinarians at a Cicero Animal Hospital had been treating Regis for smoke inhalation and a burned tail.

The dog's owner, 68-year-old John Petrick died of a heart attack while trying to save his pet.

Reports last week indicated that the condition of the German Shepherd-mix had been improving. He was transferred to an animal shelter to be adopted.

In addition to the fire injuries, Regis had also been suffering from kidney failure.

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.