1. Combine flour, garlic salt, cayenne pepper and baking soda together
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and beer
3. Pour beer mixture into flour mixture and whisk together until smooth
4. Pour oil into medium sauté pan (about 2 inches deep) and heat to 375 degrees
5. Dredge onion rings in flour
6. Dip in batter and coat completely
7. Deep fry in oil until golden brown, turning once, approximately 1-2 minutes per side
8. Using the tongs, remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired.