- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and shredded (after shredding the potatoes, place them in a large bowl with ice water-they won't oxidize and turn rust colored)
- Neutrally flavored oil for frying (I prefer canola)
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and grated
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 egg whites, beaten with a whisk until frothy
- 3-6 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Place the shredded potatoes, parsnips and carrots in a large clean towel and squeeze out all of the moisture; make sure the vegetables are completely dry.
Place all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and add the vegetables. Mix all of the ingredients together until thoroughly combined. The mix should be slightly wet and holding together. If not, add a little more flour.
Heat a large skillet with 1-½ inches of oil. Drop spoonfuls of latke batter into the oil. Flatten it slightly with the back of a spoon. Brown the latkes on both sides. Remove to a platter lined with paper towels.
To re-heat: Place the latkes on a cookie sheet and heat in a 400 degree oven until hot.