Supt. Weis: No solid leads in officer's murder

November 27, 2010 (CHICAGO)

"We have to take this killer off the street before he strikes again. He is a threat to all of us," said Supt. Jody Weis, Chicago Police Department.

Officers and volunteers are searching a Southeast Side neighborhood where Officer Michael Flisk and retired CHA officer Stephen Peters were shot to death Friday afternoon in an alley near the 8100-block of South Manistee in the South Chicago neighborhood.

"We have no solid leads at this time," said Police Supt. Jody Weis. "We will not waiver from our mission to bring those responsible to justice."

Weis was joined by community activists to ask for the public's help. "When a uniformed Chicago police officer is gunned down in the middle of the day while assisting our community, we all have to take a look in the mirror."

On Saturday, police and volunteers passed out fliers as the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation is offering a $10,000 reward in the case.

"We must stop the violence and we must stop the silence," said Rev. Roosevelt Watkins from Bethlehem Star. "Feel free to reach out to someone in the faith-based community, and we will pass the information on."

"The perpetrator in this case is someone's son, someone's uncle, someone's father, perhaps someone's nephew. And someone knows who it is," said Supt. Weis.

Police say Flisk and Peters were both armed- but it appears they did not return fire. Peters was once on the Robbins Police Department and in the military. He currently worked as an engineer. He is survived by his wife, Djana Peters, and three children.

"He believed that being unhappy, being negative took too much. And we always. . . he always greeted me with a hug and a kiss because he always felt as if tomorrow's not promised," said Djana Peters, widow.

Peters collected and restored classic Ford Mustangs and was a member of a car club.

"He loved the fact that he could turn something that looked like nothing into a million dollars. He won prizes, he was in magazines. He went to a lot of the auto shows. So that was his release," said Djana Peters.

Peters kept a car in his mother's garage. Police say they were called after something was stolen from the vehicle. Officer Flisk was gathering evidence there when the shooting occurred. Police say the victims' wallets and guns were recovered from the scene.

"So it doesn't appear at this time that anything was taken off the two victims. It appears as if the individual perpetrated this crime and fled the scene immediately," said Supt. Weis.

Officer Flisk is the second Chicago police officer killed this week. Forty-five-year-old SWAT team member David Blake was shot to death in his parked SUV last Monday while he was off-duty.

No one has been charged in that case and visitation for Blake will be Sunday.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.