- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen artichoke hearts
- Baking Sauce:
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
juice of 2 lemons or 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- Meat Filling:
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 heaping teaspoon baharat or allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1. Thaw artichoke hearts. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine ingredients for baking sauce. Pour baking sauce into a 9"x 9" oven-to-table casserole dish. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine ingredients for meat filling. Shape meatballs and press each meatball into the concave side of the artichoke hearts. Custom size the meatballs according to artichoke size. If you have leftover meat, shape into regular meatballs.
4. Place each filled artichoke heart, meat side up, on the tomato sauce in the prepared casserole dish. Add any meatballs formed from remaining filling.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Do not baste with the tomato sauce, for you want them to look as neat as possible. Serve with sauce under each artichoke or on the side.
Yield: 8 servings