This case received national attention mainly because the fight was caught on video. That was two years ago. Since then, Derrion Albert's family has endured five trials. In addition to their grief, the lengthy legal process is also taking its toll.
Albert's family has lost count of how many times they have made the walk through the Cook County Courthouse lobby. Tuesday, Eugene Riley was to be sentenced for his part in Albert's death. But the sentencing was pushed back due to a paperwork issue, a disappointment for Albert's family.
"We expected to come down here and have this portion completed, but it's just draining. It takes a lot out of you," said Norman Golliday, Albert's grandfather.
Five teens were charged for the beating death of Albert. The teens were part of a mob fighting after leaving Fenger High School.
Lapoleon Colbert was convicted earlier this month and faces 20 to 60 years in jail. A 15-year-old was convicted previously for Albert's death. Eric Carson pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 26 years in prison. Silvonis Shannon was convicted and is serving a 32 year sentence. And Eugene Riley was convicted and awaits sentencing.
Derrion Albert was a 16-year-old honor student in 2009. He died from injuries suffered in the attack.
While the young men involved in the brawl are being held accountable, Albert's family hold adults in the school system and law enforcement responsible.
"It came out in the trial that those kids were out there fighting for their lives every day," Golliday said, "and from my understanding, the schools and the police weren't aware of it or nothing was being said or done about it."
Albert's family is coming off a difficult weekend in which Albert was given his diploma posthumously.
"To be honest, I went, but I didn't feel it. I missed him being there," said Golliday.
Riley is now scheduled to be sentenced on July 19. Colbert is also expected to be sentenced that day. That will be yet another trip to court for the family of Derrion Albert.