Benjamin Carroll with the Chicago Botanic Garden (www.chicagobotanic.org) was in our ABC7 studio to show us how to do that.
Tips for Growing Herbs
- Create a free draining soil by mixing gravel with your potting mix at a rate of 1:1.
- Mediterranean herbs like Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender and Oregano prefer full sun.
- Do not feed or water in excess. Herbs develop a more intense flavor when grown in lean conditions.
- Harvesting will encourage fresh growth and a bushier plant.
- Preserve extra herbs for later use by drying or freezing.
- Mix them with other annuals.
Tips for Summer Containers
- Water generously; one deep watering is much better than several shallow waterings.
- Apply water directly at the soil surface.
- Feed regularly throughout the entire growing season or use slow release fertilizer.
- Remove all flowers that have been pollinated to encourage new blooms.
- Remove plants that do not look happy and fill the gap with a fresh new plant.
- Going out of town? Have a friend check your container for watering on occasion.