David Mirassou represents the sixth generation of the family. He joined us to share some of his vast knowledge of wine, including how to determine which one is right for you.
Wine Personality Quiz
1. Are you always the center of attention?
2. Are you fun-loving and consider yourself to be a people-person?
3. Are you a real sweetheart or big softy?
4. Do you prefer sweet tastes over salty ones?
5. Do you run circles around your friends because you're so energetic?
6. Are you constantly "on the go"?
7. Do you spend most of your free time on the golf course?
8. Do you tend to participate in sports rather than watch from the sidelines?
9. Is your disposition a happy one?
10. Do you "go with the flow"? Have you been described by some as being flexible or "mellow"?
11. Are you a perfectionist, never letting go of a project until it's completely perfect?
12. Are you a "Type A" with extremely high standards for yourself and others?
13. Are you a nature buff, one who'd rather be hiking or fishing or out enjoying the natural world?
14. Are you concerned for the environment?
15. Are you a powerhouse in the workplace who is ready to meet any challenge and sometimes referred to as "adventurous"?
16. Do you like to take risks, preferring to try things outside your comfort zone?
Here's how David Mirassou, wine expert and sixth generation family member of Mirassou Winery, pairs your personality traits with the perfect Mirassou varietal:
A. If you answered yes to questions 1 or 2, you are a Moscato
"Moscato is so popular that it quickly becomes the center of attention at any get-together," said David Mirassou. "Our California Moscato is as close as you can get to capturing summer in a bottle, making it the perfect wine for sharing with friends and family."
B. If you answered yes to questions 3 or 4, you are a Riesling
"Mirassou's Riesling is very soft and approachable and is ideal for those who consider themselves to be kind-hearted and sweet."
C. If you answered yes to questions 5 or 6, you are a Sauvignon Blanc
"Energetic personalities tend to enjoy the crisp taste of Sauvignon Blanc because it pairs well with an always on-the-go active lifestyle."
D. If you answered yes to questions 7 or 8, you are a Pinot Grigio
"Pinot Grigio is perfect for the sport type because it offers a refreshing cool-down after a long day on the golf course under the sun."
E. If you answered yes to questions 9 or 10, you are a Chardonnay
"Mellow, go-with-the-flow people are crowd pleasers, and likewise Chardonnay is an easy to drink wine that is pleasing to many palates."
F. If you answered yes to questions 11 or 12, you are a Pinot Noir
"It takes a perfectionist to grow Pinot Noir grapes, so those with perfectionist tendencies will appreciate the complexities of this varietal."
G. If you answered yes to questions 13 or 14, you are a Merlot
"Nature-lovers and those that crave the great outdoors tend to enjoy Merlot for its full-body taste and smooth finish."
H. If you answered yes to questions 15 or 16, you are a Cabernet
"Big, bold personalities are often adventurous sprits and a rich Cabernet is the perfect match for this ready-to-take-on-anything approach to life."
If you answered yes to multiple questions, you like a wide range of varietals!
What meal you plan to enjoy will determine the best varietal to buy. Check out the everyday wine and food pairings by Mirassou Winery to help you celebrate a special occasion or just enjoy an everyday meal!
Mirassou Bright Ideas Grant Program
BACKGROUND: The Mirassou Bright Ideas Grant Program is inspired by the Mirassou family's more than 155 year winemaking legacy steeped in entrepreneurism, innovation and empowerment and passed down through strong women. As America's oldest winemaking family, the Mirassou family's pioneering spirit has led to numerous winemaking innovations that continue to shape the wine industry today.
GRANT PROGRAM: Mirassou's Bright Ideas Grant Program will award five $3,000 grants to individuals with bright ideas to help turn their ideas into reality. In addition, the five grant recipients will also be voted on at the Mirassou Winery's Facebook page ( Facebook/MirassouWinery.com), with the highest vote earner being awarded an additional grant of $5,000.
HOW TO ENTER: From now until October 31, 2011, applicants may submit their bright idea (large or small) at ( Facebook/MirassouWinery.com) for consideration. Applications may not exceed 1,000 words and will be judged on criteria that includes relevance of the bright idea to the Mirassou spirit of entrepreneurism, innovation and empowerment.