No bond for man accused of shooting officer

March 23, 2012 4:26:29 AM PDT
A man charged with the attempted murder of a Chicago police officer is a danger to himself and society, a judge said Thursday.

Paris Sadler, 20, is being held without bond in the Monday shooting. He faces two counts of attempted murder of a police officer and aggravated battery with a firearm. Sadler allegedly shot Chicago Police Officer Del Pearson during a foot chase down a South Side alley. Officials say he is a known gang member who bragged about his status on facebook.

Officer Pearson, 47, was critically wounded. He remains hospitalized, but is improving, officials said.

"The bullet that went into Officer Pearson's shoulder pierced a main artery and lodged in his neck near his spine. that has not yet been recovered. the bullet that struck Officer Pearson's chest and lodged in his bulletproof vest, was recovered," Assistant State's Attorney Peter O'Mara said.

Sadler was arrested Tuesday in the home he shares with his mother. Police say the recovered a black T-shirt and a weapon.

"The Illinois State Police forensic laboratory examined the bullet recovered from Officer Pearson's bulletproof vest and determined it was from the 38 caliber revolver found in defendant Sadler's house. Defendant Sadler gave a handwritten statement admitting to shooting Officer Pearson," O'Mara said.

Sadler's family attended the suspect's court appearance, but did not comment on camera.

2 officers praised for saving Pearson's life

Two Chicago police officers who were on patrol with Pearson acted swiftly to save the 8-year police veteran's life, taking him to the hospital instead of waiting for an ambulance. Sergeant Christopher Kapa and Officer Kirsten Lund were fearful Officer Pearson would bleed out. He lost two-thirds of the blood in his body by the time he reached a hospital.

"I have seen a lot of people shot in 17 years on the job. This is one of the worst situations I have seen, and I knew I couldn't wait for the fire department to get there," said Kapa

"I was in the backseat with Officer Pearson trying to keep him awake and conscious," Lund said.

"Officer Pearson was in grave danger of dying Monday evening. In fact, the doctors told us that he lost two-thirds of his blood," McCarthy said.

Officer Pearson joined the Chicago Police Department in 2003. He has received 109 department awards and commendations, including the Superintendent's Award of Valor. He is alert and talking to his family, officials said.