Cellini is said to be unwell and he walked out of court with the support of his wife and daughter.
He had been convicted of trying to shake down a Hollywood producer for a $1.5 million campaign contribution to Rod Blagojevich.
"There is the possibility of deterrence, because you're communicating to a small group responsible for the corruption in Illinois, and I think they pay attention to this," said acting U.S. attorney Gary Shapiro.
Cellini's lawyers say they will appeal.
Cellini is scheduled to report to prison on January 4.