- 3 T. butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 T. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 8 c. (2 qts.) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1/3 c. honey or grade B maple syrup
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream or plain yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
In a heavy stock pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, and fresh ginger. Sauté 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour the stock over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, and simmer until the carrots are soft and tender, about 25 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Add the ground ginger and honey. Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender until smooth (or puree in blender or food processor, in batches if necessary). Add the cream or yogurt. Stir to completely combine the ingredients. Season to taste.
Garnish with sprigs of your favorite herbs, such as parsley, chives or rosemary. Serves 4-6.
Tip: Add seared scallops to enhance the soup and make it a meal in itself. Add a salad, crusty bread and you are set for dinner.