No serious injuries were reported.
According to Cicero Fire Department officials, Cicero East and Cicero West elementary schools were evacuated after the students and two teachers reported feeling ill. The 18 children, fourth- and fifth-graders, and teachers were taken to hospitals to be checked out.
The rest of the students were taken to Unity Junior High school and Cicero Community Center until the schools reopened around 2 p.m.
The gas leak occurred around 12 p.m. when a landscaping company struck a two-inch gas line while planting a tree in the 2900-block of West 49 th Place. Nicor capped the leak at 2 p.m.