Let's Dish host Chris Koetke has a recipe for a treat that is great to serve as a side dish, an appetizer, or even as a light dinner with a salad. You can find more recipes likes this on the Live Well Network.
Recipe for Hanukkah Latkes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Serves: 6 (18 latkes)
2 parsnips, peeled (about 3 oz.)
1.5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
3 green onions, finely minced
1. Grate the potatoes using the coarse side of a box grater. Place in a sturdy kitchen towel and squeeze firmly to remove as much of the water as possible. Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
2. Grate the parsnips using a fine grater.
3. In the bowl with the potatoes, combine the parsnips, onion, eggs, flour, salt, and black pepper.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, horseradish, and green onions. Reserve.
5. In a large sauté pan over high heat, coat the bottom of the pan with a coating of oil. Spoon in about 1/4 heaping cup or potato mixture for each latke. Flatten the potatoes until they are about 1/4 inch thick.
6. When the first side is browned (several minutes), flip. Continue cooking until the potatoes are completely cooked through and browned on the other side (several more minutes). Remove from pan to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Serve hot with horseradish sour cream.