Check with employer for special benefits
- This is a growing area, many wellness plans will now cover costs associated with gym memberships
Some United Healthcare plans can have discounts of 10 -50% on gym memberships
- Even when they may not cover gym membership through health plans, some employers sponsor group discounts at health clubs.
-This can result in savings of 10%, 20%, or even more depending on group or employer
Explore trial membership to see if you will use the gym before you commit to long-term contract
- Clubs can offer short-term trial membership from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
- Can also find on-line coupons at places like Groupon.
Join with a friend
- Many clubs will offer discounts if you join with another person. So if you have been talking about this, commit to working together to getting in shape and saving money.
Don't be afraid to pay a little more
Don't be afraid to pay a little more at a club that really offers what you are interested in or club with more services, if it will increase your motivation for going. The best value is actually using the membership to improve your health and quality of life. This can be a great motivator – all you have to do is get there and there is always something to do. Also this is helpful for people that have varied interest: Basketball, yoga, golf, spin, tai chi, dancing.