Stef Safran, owner of Stef and the City, has been in the matchmaking industry for more than twelve years. She came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio armed with information about where singles can mingle.
1. Communal Tables
Some restaurants that have communal tables are:
3. The Publican
4. The Purple Pig
2. Sporting Leagues
Singles Sports League, or S3, has various leagues and even overnight trips for singles ages 21-40.
They have an upcoming weekend ski trip to Lake Geneva February 21st-23rd.
Some of their winter leagues include:
2. Indoor Dodgeball
3. Must Love Dogs
Mingle Around offers about 15 single events monthly for singles ages 20 to 50. They even have various events such as "Dating for Dog Lovers" that even combines their event with a local dog charity. They will have a Valentine's Day event with Chicago Canine Rescue.
For more details go to www.minglearound.com.
After Hours 312 has more than 4,000 members ages 30 to 50 and has regular parties in the city that are affordable and fun.
They will have a party specifically for singles who are divorced with kids in March. To get invited, join their Meetup group by going to www.meetup.com.
5. Conversation Starters:
1. Color Stands Out: Wear something with color so you stand out! Pick out an outfit that stands out! If you go with a LBD (Little black dress) but add a colorful necklace or sparkly earrings. If you're a guy, wear something that stands out a GOOD way.
2. Know Your Pop Culture and Some Sports Talk: Who didn't watch the Superbowl? Be prepared with what's going on in Pop culture Sports so that you can easily talk about something relaxing and relevant.
3. SMILE, Don't be texting and be okay with standing alone: Smiling people look approachable, and being with gadgets or other people intimidate others from approaching you.
4. Ask a question about the place you are at: It's not a cheesy line if you ask someone if they've been to the event or location that you are at. It can start a conversation!
5. Compliments are key: Start the conversation with a compliment, it's easy and free and tends to put a smile on the person's face.