Baby found dead in Prospect Heights condo

WLS logo
Friday, July 11, 2014
Police investigate infant death in NW suburbs
EMBED <>More Videos

Police are investigating the death of a 1-month-old infant found dead in a Prospect Heights condo.

PROSPECT HEIGHTS, Ill. (WLS) -- A 1-month-old girl was found dead inside a condo building in the 800-block of Old Willow Road in Prospect Heights. Dozens of police were on the scene Thursday in the northwest suburb.

"There was no pulse, nothing from the child. And subsequently, the emergency room doctor pronounced the child dead," said Chief Jamie Dunne, Prospect Heights Police Department.

Thursday night, forensics investigators combed the ground-floor condo unit in the community of young families.

"It's really sad. It's a really sad thing because she was little. Little baby. A newborn," said Karen Zarate, neighbor.

Police say they got the call around 10. a.m. Thursday of a report of an infant not breathing. The baby girl was one day shy of a month old.

"It's a baby. She didn't get a chance to see the world. She didn't get a chance to experience anything," said Monica Alvarez, neighbor.

Investigators from the northwest suburban major case assistance team descended upon the sprawling Willow Heights condo complex. They searched the two-bedroom unit and various common areas in the building, including a room where surveillance images are stored.

"This is a very nice community. We have multi-culture. It's a very quiet neighborhood. And this is very out of the norm for this community," said Larry Bennett, Willow Heights property manager.

Police said the infant's parents have been cooperating with investigators. The case is classified as a death investigation.

"Nothing was apparent, which is why with no obvious cause of death, and we don't have answers, which is why we're going to take it to the next level and thoroughly investigate," said Chief Dunne.

Multiple neighbors told Eyewitness News they've overheard on various occasions very loud arguments in the unit. Police say they have been called to the residence in the past but declined to offer details.

"It's just heartbreaking. It's very emotional. You know, she was a little baby," said Alvarez.

An autopsy on the child is scheduled for Friday. Police remained on the scene late Thursday night, nearly 12 hours after they were first called to the scene.