New York couple found dead in Mexico Airbnb; family fights to bring remains home

ALBANY, New York -- A vacation to Mexico ended tragically for a New York couple, and now their family is struggling to have their remains returned home.

A faulty heater is being blamed after Ed Winders and his partner Barbara Moller were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in their Airbnb two weeks ago in Mexico Central Highlands.

Winders' children are now dealing with language barriers and red tape as they try to bring their bodies home to Albany.

Police in Mexico are holding the couple's bodies while they continue to investigate.

"It's hard to make sense of something, you know we all pass at some point in time, but it just seems so out there and wrong," Eric Winders said.

In the meantime, people are donating to an online fundraiser to help with memorial and transportation costs.

Airbnb released a statement saying:

"We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our thoughts are with Ed and Barbara's families, loved ones and friends. We are reaching out to their children to extend our full support to help them through this difficult time."

Airbnb said they have a program that gives out free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to hosts who request one and run home safety workshops.

Airbnb advises guests to check the amenities lists of rentals for smoke detectors, and homes that have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are clearly marked so guests can make sure to search for homes that have them.
Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.