Dehumidifiers recalled for overheating, catching fire

WLS logo
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
wls-U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

About 3.4 million humidifiers were recalled Tuesday for overheating, smoking, and catching on fire, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

There have been 38 reports of smoke and fire coming from GD Midea humidifiers, posing serious fire and burn hazards. The dehumidifiers have caused $4.8 million worth of property damage, said CPSC. No injuries have been reported.

These humidifiers were sold at Lowes, Mendards, PC Richard and other stores throughout the country between January 2003 and December 2013 and range between $100 and $300, according to CPSC.

For a complete list of recalled dehumidifiers, click here.