Chicago shooting: 2 high school seniors bound for Division I basketball hurt in Englewood drive-by

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Two high school seniors, both bound for Division I college basketball, were wounded in a drive-by shooting Monday night in Englewood.

DePaul Prep senior TY Johnson was talking to De La Salle Institute senior TaKiya Howard and a friend when police say someone in a passing car fired multiple shots at them, just outside Johnson's Englewood home.

"He said, 'I'm going to go talk to a friend,' something he normally does [when they] come by and see him and something like this unfortunately happens,'" said Ted Johnson, TY Johnson's father.

Howard's mother said her daughter and her two friends were just talking about their next exciting chapters ahead when several shots rang out.

TY's father said his son suffered a graze wound to the back of his head. Howard's mother said her daughter was hit once in the ear.

"I'm relieved. I'm happy," he said. "Things like this shouldn't ever happen but it's the reality we live in."

Both parents say their children, thankfully, are expected to be okay.

"When a situation like this happens and he's at home, it's the man upstairs, the Lord helps you," Ted Johnson said. "It's the only thing."

Johnson and Howard are both set to play Division 1 basketball next season.

Johnson is a two-time Sun-Times All-Area player and was this past season's breakout star. He led the Rams to the Chipotle Clash of Champions tournament title and the No. 1 ranking in the area while averaging 20.2 points.

Howard is a 5-foot-10 guard who was selected to the All-Girls Catholic Athletic Conference White Division team in all four years at the De La Salle Institute.

In March, Howard claimed the record for the all-time scoring leader in De La Salle girls basketball history, according to the Beverly Review, with 1,198 points.

School officials said Howard will head to Murray State University and Johnson, staying closer to home, is bound for Loyola.

"Our primary concern is that Ty has a full and quick recovery," the university said in a statement.

"He's still going to have a bright future," his father said. "We'll stand by him, support him and just be strong."

Both teenagers are now recovering at home. Both parents said their children fought to get where they are now and will only continue to fight through their recovery.

No one is in custody.

The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.